Friday, March 30, 2012

Does Running Make You Fat?

Many people run to lose weight. Sounds good, in theory. Some people enter a race in hopes of ramping up their training in order to lose weight. I got down to a svelte 177 and began training for a marathon. I figured it wouldn't take too long to get down to 170, maybe 165 and just start tearing it up. Four months later, I'm up to 184.

Similar things happened when I trained for my first half marathon. I began at a non-svelte 204 and finished the race at 211. You think running a half marathon is hard when you're in shape, try running one when you're a freaking beached whale.

In short, I need to stop running in order to lose weight. As it turns out, no matter how far you run, you can't eat a bowl of ice cream every half-hour and not pay a price.
Before Marathon Training-December 2011

After Marathon Training - March 2012

5 comments:

  1. Ha! The only marathon where I lost weight was my first. It probably helped that I was 24. That said, I haven't gained weight with the others, but I know I could've. I can always eat MORE than I know I should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its those longs that kill me. I can't stop eating all day afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. I ran 10 on Wednesday and needed to run 100 to equalize all I ate afterwards.

      Delete
  3. Agreed...running helps to get you out of the downtown area of fat city, but the urges you get after the long runs and/or the justification we sometimes use for our treats after months of training do tend to keep us in the suburbs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what's worse, the day of a long run or the day after. All I want to do is eat.

      Delete