Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Best Things About Being Injured

The two people who follow this blog, I'm sure, are dying to know how my training is going. It's not. I'm approaching a return to training next Monday. I could probably run tomorrow, but the last thing I need is to miss another two weeks with a butt cheek injury. In the meantime, let's look on the bright side by examining the best things about being injured.

  1. More food. I can't run so that means I can eat whatever I want. Right? 
  2. More sleep. There's really no need to get up at 5:00 A.M. anymore.
  3. No runner's cough. Anyone who's experienced unlimited coughing for up to 38 days after a run understands my disdain for runner's cough and the associative snot rocket/phlegm battle that follows.
  4. No runner's guilt. It takes some serious nerve to abandon the family for two hours on a Saturday morning to get in a long run. Now I simply annoy them for two additional hours and they can't wait to get rid of me.
  5. Fewer aches and pains. This is especially true if the injury only hurts when you're actually running. Not only is the injury healing, all the other aches and pains you've been in denial about for the past three months are going away too.
  6. More time to write blog posts. Of course, you've really nothing to write since you can't run, but you could write some fluff columns about injuries, I suppose.
The problem with all this, of course, is you forget how much running improves your life.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, as you noted on my blog, my Spring of Speed hasn't been so speedy. And I'm trying not to be jealous of all the bloggers I read who are training for Boston. Since I'm not a very nice person, this is hard.

    Anyway, I'm so sorry you're going through this (at least with my situation so far no one has told me not to run). But you haven't forgotten how much running improves your life--I can tell from your commentary on your cardio from today (I'd "send you encouragement" but I don't have the widget). Here's hoping for good things for you on Monday!!

    ReplyDelete